Rockwood STEM Trip to Sandhurst
On the 24th May, a group of Year 10 Separate Science students were taken on a careers showcase at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst where the theme was “leading change” and inspiring “women in engineering”.
This was a fantastic opportunity for our young girls to gain an exclusive insight into the various STEM related careers available for them to pursue in the future.
Events on the day included:
- Inspiring talks by STEM female role models.
- Career stands provided by military STEM employers.
- Career stands provided by industry partners.
- STEM Higher Education Providers/Apprentice Schemes/Supported Education Schemes.
- Interactive STEM activities and challenges.
The girls were involved in a variety of activities including deciphering encrypted codes, virtual reality programmes and engineering in the military. Two of our students Farasha and Saynab, proudly stated on Forces Radio the importance of raising awareness and promoting women in STEM.
Feedback from the students was extremely positive regarding the event, students felt that this experience was unlike others. It provided them with a real hands-on experience to engage and interact with various leading companies including RINA and GSK.